It’s nice doing a super creative project where you really get to challenge every aspect of the shops skills. It’s even nicer when the results are better than expected. We had a lot of fun on the Pearl River Saloon Project and we were lucky enough to have the project featured in this months Sign & Digital Graphics Magazine.
As always we love what we do and we’re looking forward to the next one! GREAT JOB everyone at KDF! – Steve
You can read the full article here… (http://read.uberflip.com/i/145938/84)
Ok this is it! Final day of assembly and installing tomorrow. Here we are securing the trains and finishing touches. A lot of finishing touches.
Almost there! Today the sign gets its lights. Brian is wiring up the LEDs which will give a real nice halo effect to all the letters.
It’s almost installation day and we are shoring up the sign with some 1/4″ black dibond. Gonna need a big truck just for this piece!
Brian is putting some final touches on the pieces now. Here he is adding the town name to the tender. Love the flag in the back.
We ran out to the Saloon for some final measurements before we start our assembly. Brian got the engine up on its perch to see the scale – it looks tiny up there all alone! Stopped in for lunch – food was awesome!!!
The tender cars are almost done – some finishing touches coming.
Painting and Finishing is so much fun. this is where we get to see the work come alive. Brian and Mark have primed everything and have some extreme painting to do…
Railroad Ties: Insanity has set in – we decided to paint everything as if our faces were pressed against the sign – here is a single railroad tie – only 47 to go!.
Brian used several layers and faux painting techniques to create the wood color, the steel of the rail bracket and the rust.
Terrain and Rails: Once the ties were worked out it was on to the large terrain pieces, the rails and the letters. It’s really coming together!
The Engine: We knew from the beginning that this would be the most important element of the sign – the WOW factor. So after assembly Brian spent a considerable amount of time testing different finishes to come up with the perfect “black steel” look of the train.
After doing more intense painting techniques and aging the steel Brian began adding the little details to really make this engine come alive. Here you can see him adding brass and steel bars.
So here is engine #1 ready to go into final assembly.